Paint stallion surpasses siring milestone.
American Paint Horse Spooks Gotta Whiz has just been named as a National Reining Horse Association (NRHA) Million Dollar Sire. Many successful riders, owners and horses spend a lifetime chasing a title of this magnitude. For this bay overo stallion, however, it took only seven years in the breeding shed to reach the million. A spectacular run at the recent National Reining Breeders Classic (NRBC) by many of his offspring helped push the 2007 bay overo stallion past the milestone.
Spooks Gotta Whiz, better known as “Baby,” is by NRHA Million Dollar Sire Spooks Gotta Gun (APHA) and out of Prettywhizprettydoes (AQHA). Bred by Clint Haverty, Baby is owned by Michell Anne Kimball, who purchased the horse from Duane Hicks in 2009 after meeting him at the High Roller Reining Classic. Baby currently stands at Cinder Lakes Ranch in Valley View, Texas.
He may have crossed the NRHA Million due to his success in the breeding pen, but Spooks Gotta Whiz had his fair share of glory within his competitive career, accumulating NRHA Lifetime Earnings (LTE) in excess of $345,147. His prominent wins include:
• 2010 NRHA Level (L)4 Open Futurity Champion ridden by Jordan Larson
• 2012 NRBC L4 Open Classic Champion ridden by Shawn Flarida
• 2012 NRHA L4 Open Derby Champion ridden by Flarida
• Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games™ (WEG) 2014 Normandy Individual and Team Gold Medalist ridden by Flarida
Baby began his breeding career in 2011 and has produced offspring who have achieved much notoriety within the show pen. The young stallion sired the 2016 NRHA L4 Open Futurity Champion, the 2016 NRHA L3 Non-Pro Futurity Reserve Champion and the 2017 NRHA L4 Non-Pro Derby Reserve Champion, in addition to numerous finalists within many of the industry’s top tier shows
The stallion’s most notable offspring include:
• Spooky Whiz (out of Myo Starlight): NRHA LTE over $181,727
• Gotta Twist It Up (out of Make It With A Twist): NRHA LTE over $90,105
• Thebettertohearuwith (out of Chex Out The Cowgirl): NRHA LTE over $75,670
• Spooks Grand Slam (out of Shiney Diamond Lady): NRHA LTE over $42,768
• Night Time Spook (out of Custom Night Time): NRHA LTE over $42,579
• KR When In Rome (out of Crome Shiner): NRHA LTE over $40,737