The 2018 National Reining Breeders Classic (NRBC) in Katy, Texas produced many shining moments for the sport of reining. With great talent in both the Open and Non Pro Classic competitions, multiple horses and riders carved their way into the history books.
Among those receiving accolades was Magnum Chic Dream, who became only the sixth National Reining Horse Association (NRHA) Five Million Dollar Sire.
Magnum Chic Dream is a 22-year-old stallion by NRHA Six Million Dollar Sire and Hall of Fame Inductee Smart Chic Olena and out of Sailin Barbee (by NRHA Million Dollar Sire and Hall of Fame Inductee Topsail Cody). Bred by Guy Du Ponchel and owned by Viola Scott, the sorrel stallion stands at Cedar Ridge Stallion Station in Whitesboro, Texas.
Scott owned and rode “Magnum” during her career as a non pro from 2002-2004 after taking the reins from NRHA Professional Patti Brownshadel. Boasting more than $44,000 in NRHA Lifetime Earnings (LTE), the stallion’s top finishes in the show pen include:
- 1999 NRHA Futurity Open Finalist, Intermediate Open Finalist and Limited Open Reserve Champion ridden by Brownshadel
- 2000 NRHA Derby Intermediate Open Co-Reserve Champion ridden by Brownshadel
- 2004 AQHA Senior Reining World Champion ridden by NRHA Professional Casey Hinton
Magnum’s true success came within the breeding pen. Producing many talented offspring, he has sired many champions, including the 2015 NRHA Level (L)4 Non Pro Futurity Reserve Champion, the 2016 NRHA Non Pro L4 Futurity Champion and the 2017 NRBC L4 Open and Non Pro Champions. At the 2018 NRBC, Magnum had 10 horses competing in the Open and Non Pro Classic finals, earning him more than $38,873 and pushing the infamous sire over the five million dollar mark.
His most notable offspring include:
- Taris Dreamer (out of Taris San Cutter): NRHA LTE over $179,753
- Msdreamy (out of A Gal With A Gun): NRHA LTE over $167,934
- Lil Magnum Jessie (out of Lil Ruf Jessie): NRHA LTE over $166,274
- Chic Dreamin (out of Skeets Red Dunit): NRHA LTE over $163,829
- Chicsdundreamin (out of Goody Goody Dun Drop): NRHA LTE over $153,342
Photo: John Brasseaux