Surviving Twin Foal Finds a Life in Her Owner’s Home


How far would you go to save the life of a horse? Breeder Stephanie Moore has gone so far as to move one tiny little filly into her house in the effort to save its life. On January 21st, one of Moore's mares had twins and unfortunately the bigger one died shortly after birth. Fortunately, the surviving twin decided she was going to stick around. 

It was five degrees outside in Veedersburg, Indiana when she was born, and she was so small she couldn't even reach her mother's udder. Moore decided to bring the black filly into her house to live in order to give her the best chance of surviving.

"She is just as cute as can be and is so precious. She does this soft little nicker when she sees me," says Moore, who owns and runs Sure-A-Winner Farm which breeds hunter under saddle prospects. "She weighed around 30 pounds and was about 25 inches tall when she was born. When she came out, I could tell she was full of spit and vinegar," Moore says laughing. "I haven't named her yet since I wasn't sure she was going to live or not. It seems like it is harder to let one go once they have been named. However, she is now doing very well, so, I guess it is time to come up with a name for her."

The feisty little preemie filly is by Moore's stallion, Truly Priceless. The filly is just over three weeks old and Stephanie says that she is improving day to day. "She is still on ulcer meds and has braces for her front legs as they appear to be either too soft boned or the tendons are too loose to support her–either way, braces will help," Moore states. "Like a human baby, she had problems holding her head up. She would be looking at you, then, her head would loll backwards over her back like it was broken, quite gross and freaky. When she was born, the hair on her head was normal, but the rest was like one of those wrinkly hairless cats. Her tail looked like a donkey's as there was minimal hair on top and just a little poof at the bottom."

Moore continues, "Since she wasn't able to get herself up and down on her own when she was first born, I slept beside her on a foam mattress. Unfortunately, she ended up on my bed half the time. So, thinking I was clever, I put a cardboard barricade around my bed while I slept. She thought that was a lousy idea so she stood there pawing and pushing on it all night." (shown pictured left)

The filly was eventually moved into Moore's living room where they put up a dog fence, then used puppy wee wee pads, interlocking rubber mats and sawdust to protect the flooring. "Now she has room to bring down the house, quite literally," says Stephanie, who has grown quite fond of this little foal. "It has been tiring but makes it all worth it every time I hear her nicker for me or I look over the dog panel and see her adorable face. She very much likes human interaction and has this tongue that she sticks out the side of her mouth then rubs it all over everything. She is sweet but a fussy little thing. She is trying to get me to believe she is really an angel, not the ornery little devil that she is!" (pictured right in the living room)

The black foal has also become close friends with the cat named, "Kitten", says Moore. "Someone dumped her down the road, and I found her in the pasture sitting with the horses," Stephanie says. "So I guess them being buddies kind of fits."

Best wishes to the little black filly.  We will keep you posted on her progress and hopefully Stephanie will come up with a great name for her.  Feel free to comment if you have any suggestions for a name!