Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs

The Food and Drug Administration issued a new consumer alert about the risks associated with the accidental consumption of Xylitol (a sugar substitute) by dogs.The Food and Drug Administration issued a new consumer alert about the risks associated with the accidental consumption of Xylitol (a sugar substitute) by dogs.

Story originally posted by: by Dr. David L. Biehl, DVMwww.heartlandvetsupply.com

The Food and Drug Administration issued a new consumer alert about the risks associated with the accidental consumption of Xylitol (a sugar substitute) by dogs.

Xylitol is described as a sugar alcohol used in many products, including sugar-free baked goods, candy, chewable vitamins, throat lozenges, chewing gum, toothpaste and mouthwash.

"FDA is aware of complaints involving dogs that experienced illness associated with the accidental consumption of Xylitol," the agency says. "While the ingredient is safe for people, it can be harmful to dogs and ferrets."

Clinical signs associated with Xylitol poisoning include:

— hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)

— seizures

— liver disease

— depression

— loss of coordination

— vomiting

The signs of illness may occur within minutes to days of ingesting Xylitol, FDA reports. Pet owners were advised to consult their veterinarian or pet poison control center immediately if they suspect Xylitol poisoning.

The taste of sugar is very appealing to dogs, be sure to keep products with Xylitol well out of reach at all times. Even if he begs for that sweet snack, please do not share with him. One piece of chewing gum or a muffin could cause severe damage to him.

If your pet may have consumed a product with Xylitol, consult your veterinarian as soon as possible.

—————————-

Dr. Biehl has been an Equine Practioner in Nebraska for 35 years and continues in Equine practice as an Equine Healthcare Consultant for Heartland Veterinary Supply and Pharmacy. Visit them here to find out more: www.heartlandvetsupply.com